Utah Valley University
800 W. University Parkway, MS 194
Orem, UT 84058
Phone: (801) 863-8226
Doctor of Education (ABD)
Higher Education Leadership
Walden University, expected 2017
Dissertation Title: Barriers and Facilitators to Academic Program Review: A Convergent Mixed Methods Study
Master of Science, Higher Education
College Administration and Leadership
Kaplan University, 2011
Bachelor of Science
Liberal Studies and Geography
Excelsior College, Albany, NY, 1989
Utah Valley University 2013-present, Orem, UT
Director, Academic Quality Assurance
- Support academic departments in consistent, on-going, quality assessment of student learning outcomes, and facilitating the regular review of degree programs to ensure their effectiveness
- Assist departments in implementing assessment and program review processes that yield meaningful results and lead to improvement and innovation
- Committed to excellence and specifically to collaborating with administrators, faculty, and staff to identify student learning outcomes, compile findings related to those outcomes, and act on findings to support of UVU’s student-centered mission
- Redesigned academic program review process to be more streamlined and fair, and got buy in from all schools to perform program reviews using the new methodology
- Worked jointly with Salt Lake Community College to identify and procure a common ePortfolio platform to increase transferability of student work between institutions; Negotiated contract with vendor saving UVU $150k over the five year contract lifespan
- Committee Service
- Accreditation Executive Team, 2013-present, member
- Academic Effectiveness Committee, 2013-present, chair
- Learning Communities, 2013-2015, member
- Campus-wide ePortfolios implementation committee, 2013-present, chair
- Scholarship of Teaching and Engagement (SoTE) Conference planning committee, 2013-2015, member
- Curriculum Redesign and High Impact Practices Task Force, 2015 – present, member
- University Planning Advisor Committee (UPAC), 2014 – 2016, member
- Staff Merit Pay Task Force, 2014-present, member
Laureate Education, Inc. 2011-2013, Baltimore, MD
Director, Regulatory Affairs – International Institutions
- Researched, wrote, edited and published weekly e-newsletter addressing international higher education issues of importance to21 Laureate higher education institutions in 10 countries
- Researched best practices in study abroad, branch campus, dual degree and certification programs; created procedures to be used for international academic collaborations amongst 73 institutions in 29 countries
- Reviewed articulation agreements for international transfer of credit between Laureate and other international institutions
- Trained Designated School Officials at five U.S. Laureate institutions in SEVP policies and procedures. Official point of contact between Laureate and State Department/ Department of Homeland Security for all F-1 and J-1 visa issues
- Developed standard procedures for the evaluation of foreign academic qualifications for admissions and trained international credential evaluators at five U.S. Laureate institutions to ensure uniformity and equity in the handling of foreign student evaluations
- Main point of contact between Laureate and foreign ministries of education for all cross border international higher education issues
- Provide extensive international regulatory research and analytical support in seeking institutional and programmatic recognition for Walden University, University of Liverpool and University of Roehampton-London online programs in multiple international markets. Also worked to ensure recognition in multiple countries for foreign student exchange purposes on behalf of 11 traditional campuses located in Australia, China, Italy, Jordan, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland, and the United States
CGFNS International 2004-2011, Philadelphia, PA
International Education Librarian, Institutional Researcher and Business Development Analyst
- Monitored changing environment of formal disciplinary, regional and national accreditation programs and legislative and regulatory developments affecting higher professional education in the U.S., and the legal basis of higher education, in multiple foreign countries
- Created corporate wide standards and procedures for ISO 9000 standards compliance and created digital repository of standards
- Conducted ongoing institutional research into program effectiveness
- Represented the organization as the main interface with U.S. regulatory and accreditation bodies; foreign embassies, and ministries of education and health
- Official observer to ETS Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) standards setting meeting for Nurses
- Created and field tested CGFNS Education Comparability Tool for Physical Therapists and wrote user manual
- Performed annual customer satisfaction survey of CGFNS applicants, analyzed and used data to map out service improvements and create new products.
- Conceptualized and created the International Standards for Professional Nurses (ISPN) Program in China, an international partnership program involving nursing education program improvement in China with U.S. NGO assistance. Created successful, recognizable, international brand
- Performed annual environmental scan and SWOT analysis
- Designed, created and implemented face to face and online corporate training programs in the fields of information literacy, foreign secondary and tertiary education, and international professional licensure requirements using Moodle, Adobe Captivate and Camtasia Studio Software
- Conducted annual competitive intelligence assessment for corporate strategic marketing planning
- Responsible for Search Engine Optimization of all corporate websites
- Designed, executed, maintained and evaluated effectiveness of corporate outreach efforts using Facebook and Twitter
Library Associates 2001-2004, Beverly Hills, CA
Vice President, Business Development
- Project manager for several large library outsource staffing and services contracts. Clients include: US District Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, Philadelphia; National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped; Law Library of Congress; National Library of Medicine; National Parks Service; Department of Justice; Department of Health and Human Services; Smithsonian Institution; Microsoft Corporation; Bristol Myers Squibb; and, Duke University
- Responsible for establishing and expanding firm’s government contracting practice. Built Library of Congress business line to $2M within 2 years
- Prepared budgets, financial reports, and operational budgets in excess of $3M per year; monitored revenues and expenditures
- Supervision, leadership, training and motivation of 55 member outsourced services staff at the Library of Congress
- Provided information and knowledge management consulting services to clients
BiblioMondo 2000-2001, Montreal, QC
Manager, Business Development (U.S.)
- Opened U.S. office for international library automation software and services firm. Responsible for all sales, marketing, advertising, product demonstration and customer relations in the United States. Supervised 5 support staff members. Responsible for U.S. operations budget
- Translated customer requirements for library systems into technical systems implementation plans resulting in shorter software installation cycle
AOL/Mapquest.com 1996-2000, Mountville, PA
Director, Library Services
- Managed and oversaw day to day operations of main library and 3 remote branch libraries, including budgets and expenses, recruiting, hiring and supervising staff, and staff evaluation
- Developed research plans, identified, and acquired all source materials used to produce MapQuest products
- Directed change management as the map library transitioned into an electronic library that delivered most services directly to corporate patron’s desktops
Corporation of the President, LDS Church 1994-1996, Salt Lake City, UT
Geographic Information Systems Manager
- Designed and built online geographic data library; trained and supervised work of 10 person staff in all aspects of data library management and use; and, responsible for program budget
U.S. Department of State 1989-1994, Washington, DC
- Chaired the Intelligence Community Geospatial Data users committee and created and implemented collaborative agreements and policies across several federal agencies
- Directed and managed information exchange programs in Canada, Northern Europe, Central Europe, Western Africa, Central Africa, and Southern Africa, including supervision of staff at remote locations
- Inbound Marketing Certified Professional (Hubspot)
- CITI Certified for Social / Humanistic / Behavioral Research with human subjects
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Certificate, Protecting Human Research Participants
- US Department of Education Federal Student Aid FSA COACH certification for financial aid professionals
- Level 300 Rugby Coach Certification, USA Rugby
Austad, H & Koller, Q. (1999). International boundary report: Armenia/Georgia.
Austad, H & Koller, Q. (1999). International boundary report: Armenia/Azerbaijan.
Koller, Q (1999). International boundary report: Azerbaijan/Turkey.
Koller, Q (1999). International boundary report: China/Vietnam.
Koller, Q (1999). International boundary report: Eritrea/Ethiopia.
Koller, Q & Andrade, M. (2015). Getting to yes: Turning skeptical faculty into e-portfolio champions. Presented at AAC&U Centennial Annual Meeting, Washington, DC.
Koller, Q. & Andrade, M. (2015). Program review 2.0: A model faculty and administrators can agree on. Presented at IUPUI Annual Assessment Institute, Indianapolis, IN.
Andrade, M. & Koller, Q (2014). Knowledge is power: Providing faculty with the means to transform learning. Presented at AAEEBL 2014, Boston, MA.
Mitchell, J & Koller, Q (2014). Using UVU’s essential learning outcomes. Presented at UVU Summer University, Orem, UT.
Snelson, L., Holden, L. & Koller, Q (2014). Integrating the Process of Strategic Planning and Assessment. Workshop conducted at Scholarship of Teaching & Engagement Conference VI, Orem, UT.
Andrade, M. & Koller, Q (2013). Using Success Stories as a Tool to Develop a Culture of Assessment in Higher Education. Presented at IUPUI Annual Assessment Institute, Indianapolis, IN.
- Association for the Assessment of Learning in Higher Education (AALHE)
- Association for Institutional Research
- EAIE: European Association for International Education
- Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory (HASTAC)
- The International Higher Education Teaching and Learning Association(HETL)
- NAFSA, member of Embassy Dialogue Committee
- The Sloan Consortium
- Coach and team administrator, UVU Men’s and Women’s Rugby teams. Led Men’s team to a Division 1AA Varsity Cup National Championship in 2015
- Expert panel member at the Fulbright Academy of Science and Technology’s International conference on Digital Libraries in the Maghreb (North Africa) (2012).
- Visiting Scholar, American Center of Oriental Research (ACOR), Amman Jordan (2000).
- Speak, read and write Afrikaans and Dutch. Limited reading familiarity of French and German
- Veteran, United States Marine Corps